JD Sports Welsh Cup Round 3: Penybont 4 Airbus UK Broughton 1


Nathaniel Cars Welsh League side Penybont earned their place in the last sixteen of the JD Sports Welsh Cup with a convincing win over Welsh Premier visitors Airbus UK Broughton at the Kymco Stadium. 

A crowd of around 150 saw player-manager Rhys Griffiths’s team take a two-goal lead inside the opening twenty minutes, when defensive hesitancy twice let in Marcus Griffiths to fire past visiting keeper Ryan Neild. And though Ryan Fraughan quickly pulled a goal back, it could have been worse for the Wingmaker, had Neild not tipped a goal-bound effort round his post as the Penybont forward line continued to cause his defence problems.

After the early flurry of goals, the score remained the same until half-time, with fewer chances at either end, although home keeper Rhys Wilson was busy in the closing minutes of the half as Airbus pressed for an equaliser.

The match was finely balanced at the break with the next goal looking hugely important. It was Penybont who again made the livelier start to the half, forcing Airbus to concede dangerous free-kicks. After one, in a central position, was wasted, a second, needlessly conceded for holding on the left wing, was accurately delivered for former top WPL marksman Rhys Griffiths to head home.

Penybont remained comfortably in control as the expected onslaught from the Welsh Premier side failed to materialise.  Two minutes from full-time, a flowing move from the home side led to Owain Warlow firing past Neild from twenty yards to complete an impressive 4-1 win.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s